Before you begin the remote install, make sure that Antivirus exceptions are properly configured (if not, you will get a pipe not ready error).
There are several ways you can deploy the agent:
1. Using the Built-in Remote Installation Dashboard
Teramind has a built-in remote installation dashboard you can use. To use this dashboard, do the following:
1. Select COMPUTERS from the main menu.
2. Click the REMOTE INSTALL AGENTS button near the top-right corner of the screen. You will be taken to the Remote Agent Installation screen where you can deploy the Agent remotely:
3. Under the Select Target Computers section, you can select the computers where you want the Agent to be installed. If you have integrated Active Directory/LDAP with Teramind, you will be able to select/exclude computers by name, groups etc. If you do not have Active Directory integration, then you can select the computers by IP range. You can also upload a .TXT or .CSV file containing IP addresses (1 per line).
4. Under Agent type, select HIDDEN or REVEALED agent.
5. For the MSI Location, if your endpoints are able to access the internet, you can leave the URLs of the Agent locations to their default values. This will fetch the Agent from your local Teramind deployment. Alternatively, you can enter local URLs or network paths where the necessary Agent files (32 bit/64 bit/MSI) are located. If you are using a web location, use HTTP if you encounter any issue using a HTTPS connection.
6. Under Deployment Mode, you can choose between PSEXEC or WMI mechanism to deploy the Agent.
7. Under the Credentials section, ensure that the domain administrator credentials, and IP address of the Teramind Server are correct.
8. Under the Teramind server, enter host name or IP address of your Teramind server.
9. Click the DEPLOY button to begin the installation.
Checking the Status of Deployments / Cancel Unfinished Deployments
1. Select COMPUTERS from the main menu.
2. Click the DEPLOYMENTS button to see the status of all remote deployments or cancel any unfinished deployments.
2. Using the Group Policy Object (GPO)
Group policy object (GPO) based installation requires Active Directory. You will also need the agent MSI installation package.
Getting the MSI Package
1. Click the Username near the top-right corner of the Teramind Dashboard. A pop-up menu will be displayed.
2. From the pop-up menu, click the Download Teramind Agent option. You will be taken to the agent download screen:
3. On the Install Agents screen, choose Direct file download.
4. Click the WINDOWS 8+ 64-BIT MSI or the WINDOWS 8+ 32-BIT MSI button to download the MSI package.
Deploying the Agent with GPO
1. You will have to pass
TMROUTER parameter (and provide your Teramind server address/IP) to the msi file and therefore you need to create an mst file. For more information about this parameter and other parameters you can use, check out the Agent Installation Parameters table on the How to download and install the Teramind Agent article. You can create the mst file with a third party tool like Orca.
2. After that, please create a Group Policy Object and select ‘Advanced‘ option and specify the msi and mst files.
3. Using the Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM/SCOM) Tool
Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) or System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) can be used to deploy Teramind the same way as you deploy through GPO. You need to configure your SCCM deployment package with a
TMROUTER option pointing to your Teramind server. For more information about this parameter and other parameters you can use, check out the Agent Installation Parameters table on the How to download and install the Teramind Agent article.
For more information about SCCM/SCOM, please consult the Microsoft documentation.
4. Using the Microsoft Intune Endpoint Management Service
You can use Microsoft Intune to deploy the MSI package. Here's a blog article that explains how to use Intune.
5. Using the PSEXEC Tool
Sysinternals psexec is a third party tool which allows to execute commands remotely. You can download it from the Microsoft site. You can use it as follows:
psexec \\<the_target_machine> -u <admin_username> -p <admin_password> -s msiexec /i <teramind.agent.latest.x64.msi> TMROUTER=<your Teramind server's IP> /qn
Replace the text inside the <> brackets with your own information. For example:
psexec \\marklaptop -u marklaptop\mark -p MyP@ssword -s msiexec /i "c:\download\teramind_agent_v23.47.1301_x64.msi" TMROUTER=184.108.40.206 /qn
6. Enrolling: Adding Users to the Dashboard
If you have installed the Revealed Agent on a user's computer, you will need to add them to the Teramind Dashboard so that they can be tracked. This article, How to add an employee / user / computer? shows you how you can do it.
The Hidden Agent does not require this step.