|If you are a Cloud customer, you don't have to worry about storage requirements as Teramind will store all your session recordings for six months and other data for as long as the account is active. In that sense, this guide is mostly relevant for On-Premise and Private Cloud customers. However, it's still a good practice to capture only the data you need minimizing privacy, security or even system performance concerns.|
Teramind uses approximately 1.5 GB per 160 hours of screen recording. This can vary due to multiple factors such as number or screens, resolution, framerate, color mode, if audio recording is enabled or not, user's activity level, etc.
There are several ways you can reduce storage requirements:
Turn Off Monitoring for an Object/Channel
Click the Gear icon near the top right corner of the Dashboard. Select Monitoring Settings. Select a profile from the list of monitoring profiles. You will be taken to the profile's settings:
- Turn off the monitoring of objects/channels you don't need. For example, the SCREEN and AUDIO monitoring consume the most amount of resources. So turn them off if not needed or enable them for only the users/computers you really want to monitor.
For more information, see the Monitoring Settings section on the User Guide.
Adjust the SCREEN Settings
From a monitoring profile, click the Setting icon at the right sight of the SCREEN object:
- Turning off the RECORD LOCKED SCREEN option will save you from capturing screens when the computer is locked out.
- Using a lower framerate in the MAXIMUM FRAMES PER SECOND field will reduce the recording size.
- Enabling the RECORD ONLY WHEN BEHAVIOR RULE WAS VIOLATED option will record the screen only when there is a rule violation incident making it both privacy friendly and reducing recording size significantly.
- Enabling the UPDATE SCREEN ON EVENTS ONLY option will instruct Teramind Agent to record the screen only when the user is active and ignore when they are inactive.
- Selected color depth such as GRAYSCALE, COLOR, HIGH COLOR - etc. can also significantly affect the recording size. For example, the HIGH COLOR setting will require 2X or more storage compared to the COLOR mode. The GRAYSCALE mode requires the least amount of space.
- Reducing the LIVE SCREEN SCALING will reduce the screen size and the resulting recording.
|Adjusting the LIVE SCREEN SCALING might affect the OCR accuracy and performance or make it inoperable.|
- You can also automatically delete old recording to reduce disk space consumption by using the DELETE HISTORY AFTER (DAYS) field.
For more information, see the Monitoring Settings > Editing Screen Settings section on the User Guide.
Adjust the AUDIO Settings
From a monitoring profile, click the Setting icon at the right sight of the AUDIO object:
- Use a lower BITRATE to reduce the audio quality and file size.
- Disable MONITORING ALL INPUT DEVICES and/or MONITOR ALL OUTPUT DEVICES if you don't need them.
For more information, see the Monitoring Settings > Editing Audio Settings section on the User Guide.
Adjust the EMAILS Settings
From a monitoring profile, click the Setting icon at the right sight of the EMAILS object:
- Disable SAVE OUTGOING ATTACHEMENTS and/or SAVE INCOMING ATTACHMENTS.
- Set up a regular expression to ignore attachments with potentially large file size such as video, audio, image.
Note that other settings might also affect the data storage. For example, you can decide to capture emails from Microsoft Outlook and ignore other email clients reducing the amount of data being captured by the Teramind Agent.
For more information, see the Monitoring Settings > Editing Emails Settings section on the User Guide.
Adjust the PRINTED DOCS Settings
From a monitoring profile, click the Setting icon at the right sight of the PRINTED DOCS object:
- You can ignore large documents by setting a limit in the MAXIMUM CAPTURE DOCUMENT SIZE (PAGES) field.
- If you have multiple printers, you can exclude the printers you don't need to monitor by using regular expression(s) in the EXCLUDED PRINTER NAME (REGEXP) field.
- Teramind will save any printed document as a PDF if the CAPTURE ACTUAL DOCUMENT option is enabled. So, by disabling it you can save some disk space.
For more information, see the Monitoring Settings > Editing Printed Doc / Printer Settings section on the User Guide.